My school had this week called, “I Believe” Week and one of the days was “I believe in my story.”
People wrote on these note cards starting with “If you really knew me you would know that…”
Some of these notecards said:
- “If you really knew me, you’d know that I was raped by my older brother everday.”
- “If you really knew me, you’d know that my mom is a heroin addict and it’s tearing my family apart.”
- “If you really knew me, you’d know that I had cancer when I was 5 and people made fun of me because I was different and didn’t have hair.”
- “If you really knew me, you’d know that I was sexually harassed and abused as a child.
- “If you really knew me, you’d know that I suffer from depression and I’ve attempted suicide.”
- If you really knew me, you’d know that I got into a car crash with my best friend and I held her in my arms, blood everywhere. RIP.
When people came up to read these note cards, a lot of them started crying. It made many people realize that everyone has a story and that you’re not alone.
every school should have this…
Every single school.
I like to describe my style as “you can take me to a nice restaurant, but I’m getting chicken fingers.”
gunna watch this tonight with the girls. c: